Pages

Sinigang na Manok (Chicken in Sour Soup)




I’ve cooked this dish few days ago for my colleagues and friends after our conversation about missing the taste of Filipino food, especially Sinigang.  We have a dining facility here that serves American and different kinds of food but not Filipino food.  Even though, it is difficult to get ingredients considering the location where we are (will not be disclosed here due to security reasons), I found a way to get some ingredients and cook it. 

Anyway, here is how I cooked Sinigang na Manok.

Here are the ingredients I’ve used:
1 whole chicken cut in portion
2 packets of Knorr Sinigang Mix (since there’s no fresh tamarind to use)
¼ kilo of strings beans
½ kilo of eggplant
5 pcs of green chili (not spicy)
Fish sauce (measurement according to your taste)
1 ginger medium size or according to your taste
Sliced 5 tomatoes
1 whole big onion
5 bottles of half liter of mineral water

How I cooked it:
1.  I boiled mineral water and when it was boiling poured the cut chicken, onions, ginger, tomatoes.
2.  When the chicken was tender, I poured 1 packet of the Sinigang mix and tasted.  It tasted less sour so I poured another one until I was satisfied with the sourness of the soup.  The technique of getting the taste you would like when cooking is don’t put too much of sauces, salt, etc.  You can adjust the taste easily if you add bit by bit until you like the taste.
3.  Then after the mix, I added the fish sauce to balance the taste.
4.  When it was boiling and the chicken was tender, I added the vegies.  It is up to the cook if he/she wants the veggies to be half cooked or fully cooked.  I prefer half cooked.

There you go, simple recipe to cook for your colleagues, friends or love ones.

Until next time, happy cooking. J

Comments
1 Comments

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe sir! I really want to cook sinigang but here in the house we cannot cook and eat pork so this recipe is a very best substitute to my craving for pork sinigang. Godbless you!